Nick Slatten's retrial concluded with closing arguments on Monday, August 6, 2018, and then the case was submitted to the jury for deliberation. Please keep Nick and his loved ones in your thoughts and prayers as we keep the faith that the jury heard the truth that Nick did not shoot, let alone kill, the Kia's driver and will return the only just verdict: NOT GUILTY.
Below is a summary of what happened in weeks 7-8, with links to closing arguments, jury instructions, and key legal filings.
WEEK 7 (July 30 - August 2)
In Week 7, both the government and the defense rested their cases. Before resting, the defense presented two witnesses to introduce two key pieces of physical evidence that the government would have preferred to keep from the jury:
- The Kia's steering wheel, from which a bullet fragment matching an M4 was recovered. This evidence is key to Nick's defense because it corroborates eye-witness accounts that a turret gunner (with an M4), rather than Nick (with an SR25), shot and killed the Kia's driver.
- The Kia's headrest, which contains a bullet hole that a trajectory expert (who had a lengthy and prestigious career with the FBI and had only testified for the defense TWICE in his career) testified could have only come from a shot above and to the left of where Nick was located. In other words, Nick could not have fired that shot.
WEEK 8 (August 6 - 8)
Closing arguments were presented to the jury on Monday, August 6, 2018. You can read them HERE and HERE. You can also read the Court's instructions to the jury HERE, and you will notice some key wins for Nick in the jury instructions that take the government to task for improper arguments made during its rebuttal to Nick's closing arguments.
The jury received the case around noon on Tuesday, August 7th, for deliberation and also deliberated Wednesday, August 8th. There was no court Thursday, August 9th, or Friday, August 10th. As of today, the jury has not reached a verdict. Monday, August 13th, began week 9 of the trial, and we are hoping for a verdict sometime this week, although the jury will continue to deliberate Monday-Thursday, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., until they reach a verdict. In the meantime, we will continue to #KeepTheFaith and pray while we are #FightingForFreedom.
Thank you for your support and prayers. Nick remains in good spirits but like the rest of us is hoping for a NOT GUILTY verdict this week. Please keep the other three Raven 23 families in your thoughts and prayers as they wait for the outcome of Nick's trial and their re-sentencing.
- Slatten's Motion to Strike Testimony of Jeremy Ridgeway About Statements In Post-Incident Meeting
- Slatten's Motion in Limine to Preclude Testimony of Kinani
- Slatten's Motion to Exclude Testimony of Michael Tarsa, Robert Martin, Mohammed Kinani, and Douglas Murphy
- Order regarding defendant's motion to compel production of recordings and government conducted tests
- Order denying Slatten's Self Defense Instructions
- Slatten's Response to order regarding jury instructions
- Slatten's Motion to opposition to admit prior testimony as an exhibit
- Order regarding jury instruction
- Slatten's Motion in Limine to preclude improper closing arguments
- Slatten's offer of proof for Michael Green
- Slatten's Proposed Curative Instructions
- Slatten's Objections to Jury Instructions